Our Performance Objectives
Our 20 Student Performance Objectives are founded on the points below.
- Participants are typically middle school students (ages 11 to 15) including boys and girls expressing a sincere commitment to attend ALL classes.
- This age group’s attention capability with interesting hand on activities achieves lifelong memorable experiences and a motivational force.
- The program is designed to encourage the student to learn by doing.
- The entire program provides hands-on experiences in which proper choices must be made.
- The diverse curriculum and disciplines introduce a sense of teamwork in a new environment. With knowledge and training, activities on the water become an enjoyable experience.
- Progression of steps of the program include the students passing their state boating education course, a drowning prevention and equipment awareness program, on water disciplines in sail, paddle, power, personal watercraft and a large vessel educational experience.
- The program is designed to give all students better understanding of their local environment.
- Weather forecasting is a vital example of importance in planning your on water-based activity.
- Students become captains of their own vessels which sparks a feeling of independence and self-esteem and emphasizes the importance of behavior which befits the position.
- Just as the student achieves proficiency and orderly care of the mind and body, through exercises, the same is true for achieving proficiency in sail, paddle and power.
- Graduation provides a platform for the student to gain recognition in front of families, friends, teachers, volunteers and fellow classmates. Graduation will also honor coordinators, volunteers, educators and program benefactors.
- As a most significant note: Students of the Spirit of America programs are the new and future safer, more confident generation of boaters.